Saturday, October 20, 2007

Blown to Smithereens


"Do you play the number 1 position?" I was asked yesterday. The number 1 position in basketball means playing the point guard role. I replied "Yes, that's my role." I played basketball last night, my first time this year as the last game I played was in December 2006.

Pardon my French but I sucked. When I was in college, I scored 30+ points once in a winning effort. In that same street ball tournament, I averaged 15+ pts, had a healthy assist number and decent rebound stats. Yesterday was probably my worse game ever! I played for about 5 minutes, didn't score, zero assist and had a number of turnovers. Being out of shape is an understatement. The experience was so humiliating that it bothers me until now.

It started when I got a call from an officemate inviting me to be a player for the Senior's Basketball Barkadahan. Senior means 35 year old players and up. I politely declined but he insisted that I join. He said he saw me play in the exhibition game last year and he said "Pwede ka pa." Sayang naman yung uniform so I joined.

One humiliating experience is enough. I just have to embrace the fact that I'm no longer geared up for competitive basketball

No comments:

Post a Comment