Monday, June 11, 2007

Jatropha, the wonder tree


Do you know what a Jatropha tree is? About two month ago, I didn't give a hoot what it was and what it does but I am now coming into terms with this plant that may-just-save-the-world. Too ideal you say? Think global warming, oil reserves and bio fuel law.

So what's the connection? It's a long story and this blog entry will be insufficient for me to detail it plus the fact that it will bore you to death. I just want to highlight these quick facts: 1- global warming is a big chunk caused by pollution, 2- oil reserves is concentrated in the Middle East countries and none in our beloved Pinas and 3- bio fuel law is already in effect.

Finally I met Mr. Jatropha last Saturday. It's a tree that grows about 8 feet and the fruit is processed to make the 2% mix in today's bio fuel. Today, the mix is currently at 2% but who knows the figure may increase in the next decade and maybe, just maybe, the tables may turn and it could be 98% bio fuel. That would probably happen but not in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment