Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Road to Three-Peat


“Saying goodbye is not an easy thing” sabi nga nung kanta. Let me start my farewell to this super team by saying that I was irked by a fellow manager’s remark sometime in mid 2004 that SL team was a more mature group compared to CL. Hindi talaga ako pumayag at pinaglaban ko ang CL. Who wouldn’t: CL was MY BABY and we just came from a Model Region runner up finish and the usage award. Right now, I’d like to go back to that manager and tell her that maybe she was right. When I joined SL, I was just armed with a work management model. I simply copied the model that we “nearly perfected” in CL, pasted it in SL and voila! The result is a usage award in 2004 and 3 model region awards (2004, 2005 and 2006).
The experience and lessons I learned from this group in 2 and half years is more than what I learned in graduate school. Like I shared in one of our MTMs was that MY PERSONAL GOAL is to make a significant impact on your careers in my own little way and I’d like to think I was partially successful in that aspect. Just remember the lessons that you learned like R-I-O-T, our management tips, tech tips, operational experiences, teamwork brought to the hilt. Use them as if your own. The best success indicator of my personal goal is if you apply what you learned from this team. Ang sabi ko nga sa email ko “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”
Allow me to take a few more minutes to recall some memories in my 31 months as a member of the South Luzon team:
ABV – Your rendition of “Girls Just wanna have fun” which made Cyndi Lauper’s version sound like a gospel song.
ARR – Your butterfly costume during our natcon in Boracay. It fits you to a tee. Fly high butterfly and see you at the top.
BDT – Your numerous surprises like our last PA discussion and your new nose.
BFG –Mountain Bikes? Guns? Photography? Basketball? We have so many things in common.
BOP – Attorney Panga, I will never forget your passion matched with subtle persistence.
BPS – I will never forget our loooooooooong conversations. And that singing voice which will give Jed Madella a run for his money.
CBC – Parang complete blood count. It still puzzles me up to now why a UP Dil graduate (with honors) matched with an AIM diploma would want to experience life in Smart.
CDV – Your whistle bait figure. Have I told you that you remind me of a Jim Henson muppet?
DDG – Click is the sound that a camera makes and it’s also a term that I’d like to use to describe our professional relationship.
GMP – Your job interview was mostly in English. Halos mag nose bleed na ako. That was the last time I spoke to you in English. At any rate, what’s important is that you survived the “ex-banker’s test.”
GCO – Our professional relationship is not the fairest of all but the learning is immeasurable.
GCL – Silence is your virtue. You speak up only when it matters.
HVH – Your experience in OQA delivered the goods for you. I wonder if it is also the reason why 3 out of 7 ladies in South Luzon would like to be your “reserve” partner.
JDH – You gave justice to the term COPC catalyst.
JDP – Our lunch date sometime 1Q 2005 in Frio Mixx, Rob Sta Rosa. You know what I mean.
JPB – Our non stop kwentuhans during long trips along Maharlika Highway.
LSV – The key to success is in business…lotto-in mo na.
MEA – Your sugalera stance during our sessions. And for drinking your heart out during our natcon in Clark.
MOB – It was a fine day in April 2005 then suddenly things turned turbulent. Not to worry, I learned a lot from that experience.
MRM – That you beat me in “My heart will go on” singing contest.
PCP – Ang ninong ng bayan! Tell me the truth, pare mayroon ka bang hindi kilala sa Batangas?
RMG – Obviously, mompo ang kinalakihan mo at hindi tequila. Don’t forget your house keys.
RTS – I have to admit mababaw lang ang pinag samahan natin kaya wala pa akong ma-isulat but let me assure you that you will easily fit in the team the way I did.
I hope I didn’t miss anybody but definitely, I will miss everybody. The pessimist in me says “Good things don’t last” but the optimist in me says “All things happen for a purpose.” Thank you for the rich experience and wonderful memories. Good luck to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment