Thursday, October 05, 2006

JoeLac, BoyLac & DyLac


My grandfather JoeLac recently joined our creator at age 94. I still recall his patented smiling face. He smiles to everybody regardless if he knows you or not. I’m pretty sure he outlived most if not all his friends. He has a cool pet name that my father & I adapted. His friends in Tarlac City fondly call him JoeLac and his real name is Jose Lacsamana Sr. I heard his other friends are JoeTor (Jose Torres) and JoeMac (Jose Macapinlac). Seems like in the early 1900s, parents have a thing about Jose's.

My father is Jose, Jr. and his nickname is Boy hence the pet name BoyLac. My father's nickname used to be a challenge for me when I was still based in Tarlac City. I used to be called, Dylac, "Ang anak ni BoyLac." I wanted my own identity but just couldn’t shake off the tagline.

When we transferred to Angeles City in ‘99, only then did I start to have my own identity. I was called DyLac, "Yung regional manager ng Smt." Oh well, looks like you just can’t easily get away with tag lines. To borrow John Maxwell's words, "You don’t need a title to be a leader." That’s exactly my aim, to be known as DyLac, the [insert appropriate adjective here] leader

No comments:

Post a Comment