Monday, July 09, 2007

Discovery Adventure


I watched three books this weekend. That’s right, I watched three books! Well, sort of. Watching Discovery channel on TV is pretty much like reading a very interesting book. You figuratively and literally get glued to the tube, enough to get your spouse irritated because you seem to mix up your priorities that is TV over lunch or dinner.

I watched three interesting shows on Discovery last weekend and these were: (1) Man vs. Wild, (2) Everest : Beyond the limit and (3) How do they do it?

Man vs. Wild. The one hour show was hosted and starred by Bear Grylls. Don’t know the guy and t’was the first time I came across his name. I reckon he was either named after a mammal or a fish but what’s more important is what I learned from him which I am hoping I won’t be able to use. The show I watched was filmed in Colorado Rockies. It started when he jumped from an airplane and landed in the middle of the forest. With just a set of clothes and minimal outdoor gear, his target was to find his way out of the forest. It goes without saying that he conquered the forest else it won’t be a TV series.

Everest : Beyond the limit. I never dreamed of scaling Mount Everest. Losing my fingers because of frostbite is not my idea of an adventure. And that’s good news. The bad news is that you might just lose your life. In 2006, eleven climbers did not only see the world’s highest peak, they also saw the gates of heaven. They weren’t as lucky as the other climbers. Mount Everest is the world’s highest peak at 28,251 feet. It is located in the border of Nepal and Tibet. I guess everybody knows that. What you probably don’t know is that climbers are aided by sherpas (The term 'sherpa' is used to refer to local people employed as porters or guides for mountaineering expeditions in the Himalayas. They are highly regarded as experts in mountaineering and their local terrain, as well as having good physical endurance and resilience to high altitude conditions.).

How do they do it? Have you ever wondered how footballs are made? How about airplane propellers? And marbles? Ship engines? Amplifiers? Neon signs? All of these were features in a 30 minute show called How do they do it? After watching the show, you’d be saying “ganun pala.”

I used to love reading the contents of http://www.howstuffworks.com/ website but it gets pretty boring sometimes just like reading a book. There are times that you just want to laze around, watch TV and hopefully catch some sleep along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment