Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pope JP II twice


"Not once, but twice!" says Susan Roces' famous line. Pope John Paul II was beatified last May 1, 2011. He visited the Ph twice in 1981 and 1995.

Early Eighties.
I was in elementary then and our family including Uncles and Aunties went to Baguio City to catch a glimpse of the Pope in his first visit to the Ph. There was a motorcade infront of Burnham Park and Papa (not the Pope) was carrying me on his shoulders. I was probably 15 to 20 feet from JP2 and being carried by JL2.

Mid Nineties.
My second sighting of the Pope JP II was during the World Youth day. It was a chance encounter as I was abt 30 feet above the street riding an LRT on my way home to Tarlac when I saw him inside the Cardinal's Residence along Taft Avenue, Manila. Albeit far, it was technically consider my second "encounter" of Pope John Paul II.

No comments:

Post a Comment