Monday, November 27, 2006

Max Soliven retires

I had the privilege to meet the late Maximo V. Soliven twice. The first was in the 80s in Tarlac City and the second was in the 90s in Manila Peninsula Hotel.

The first meeting was not so special for me because I was very young then probably in my early teens so his name didn't ring a bell however I'm pretty sure his presence was very special for my father. He was the guest of honor during my father's inauguration as the president of Tarlac Lions club. After the inauguration, he had coffee at our house in San Rafael, Tarlac City. I recall asking for his autograph. When I when find time, I shall look for that yellow notebook where he signed his name complete with a dedication.

The second meeting was more significant. I was in my early 20s and a customer care officer for a telecoms company and he was a company VIP. The company gave him a Nokia celfone and I was tasked to deliver the phone and explain the phone features. The brief meeting was in the lobby of Manila Peninsula Hotel in Makati City. I nervously introduced myself and told him that I met him already in Tarlac City about a decade ago and I was happy that he remembered (not me personally) but my father and the occasion.

Manong Max has now retired. He didn't voluntarily retire or was forced into retirement but he passed away doing what he loves best. What a fitting end to his 77 year life story.

(Max Soliven is the publisher of the Philippine Star)

No comments:

Post a Comment