Monday, January 08, 2007

A Chip off the Block


My first sport was soccer. I started playing basketball at a rather late age of 14 yrs old. Throughout my teenage days, the only time I beat my father in a basketball game was after I turned 18 yrs old. That's easily 4 yrs of mostly driving to the hoop on my way to victory or rather defeat. My father stands 5'9" while I'm 3 inches below his height. So for the most part, it was posting down low that did the job for him. It's been a while since my father and I played basketball but my guess is I can easily beat him on endurance alone. My son is turning 9 this year and by the looks of it, he's going to beat me sooner than I did my father.

After doing some research, thanks to the power of the internet, I found out that there are at least 26 father and some appearances in the NBA. The famous names include: Bill & Luke Walton, Joe & Kobe Bryant, Mike Sr. & Jr. Dunleavy, Rick, Jon & Brent Barry. In the local scene, we have the ff. PBA players: Caloy, Chito & Joey Loyzaga, Sonny & Dudut Jaworski, Freddie & Paolo Hubalde, Sonny & Junjun Cabatu, Romy & John Billy Mamaril, Freddie & Jason Webb. So who did better? There's actually no established trend. Kobe Bryant is definitely greater than his father. Easily, he can make the list of 60 greatest players if they award one in this year, the 60th year of the NBA. The Big J, my idol Robert Jaworski is incomparable to Junior. I recall the only spectacular shot that the good congressman Dudut made as a player was a back to back 3 pointer reminiscent of his father then I never heard from him again.

So who's better, BoyLac or DyLac? We probably wouldn't know unless we get a time machine and set both age at our prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment