Saturday, January 27, 2007

Show me the Money!


This may sound funny but last January 24, 2007 was the first time I watched Jerry Maguire. It is a circa 1996 movie starring Tom Cruise, angelic looking Renee Zellweger as Dorothy Boyd and Cuba Gooding Jr. as Rod Tidwell. It was playing in Cinemax that night and that got me glued to the tube. I especially like the lines; some funny and some are inspiring. I’m determined to invest in an original DVD copy.

For the inactive movie buffs like me, here’s the plot outline: When sports agent Jerry Maguire has a moral epiphany (to advocate better service, fewer clients, and less focus on the bottom line) and is fired for expressing it, he decides to put his new philosophy to the test as an independent with Arizona football player Rod Tidwell as the only athlete who stays with him.

Here are some of the lines that I like in the movie:
Jerry Maguire: "What can I do for YOU, Rod? "
Rod Tidwell: "It's a very personal, very important thing. Hell, it's a family motto. Now are you ready? Just checking to make sure you're ready (Rod turns his boom box real low) here it is -- show me the money. (He now blasts the boom box at full level) OHHH!!!! SHOW! ME! THE! MONEY! Doesn't it make you feel good just to say that, Jerry? Say it with me one time brother! "
Maguire: "Show you the money. "
Tidwell: "Oh, come on, you can do better than that! I want you to say it brother with meaning! Hey, I got Bob Sugar on the other line I better hear you say it! "
Maguire: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

Dicky Fox: "The key to this business is personal relationships."

Dicky Fox: "If this [points to heart] is empty, this [points to head] doesn't matter."

Dicky Fox: "Hey... I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success."

I have a new job in the same company, same department. Though it’s a temporary job, good for about 12 months max, I find it extremely challenging and happy that I was chosen to lead it at least for our department. Unlike Rod Tidwell, I didn’t tell my superior to “show me the money.” I was looking for a new challenge, something that this new job presents. IF this new job eventually “shows me the money” then I’d be grateful, ELSE I’ll just continue to work hard and smart as I know eventually my contributions will be appreciated. That’s the optimist in me talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment