Thursday, April 23, 2009

Basketball Runs in the Family



Dear B5 (the assist machine and steals king),

When I was your age, my chosen sport was soccer football. I know Papa Boy was a bit dismayed when he learned I opted for the white ball with black pentagon spots instead of the 1 foot orange ball with black stripes used in the game of basketball. I learned to play basketball at a rather late age of 14 years old. I began to like the sport better but kept in touch with the game of soccer throughout high school and college. I wasn't really good in both sport but understood both games and in fact can still play both games (minus the running up and down the field or the court). Papa Boy used to watch me play soccer during after class intramurals game even if I didn't play well. In high school and college, I used to play with him and remember the first time I beat him was in my late teens. He was 3 inches taller than me and played alot during his younger days so that spelled the difference. In college, he watched some of my games and remember playing well when I knew he was watching.

Last Sunday (April 19) was my first time to see you play REAL basketball. We play basketball a lot but only with a tennis sized basketball or a junior size ball. I must say you are very good at the game for your age. Well very good has a touch of bias because you are my son. Good is a more appropriate assessment of your skill. You’re on your last two days in the basketball clinic. I’ve told you your strengths and points for improvement verbally last Sunday and I just want to list them down in my journal.

Strengths:
1. You are an above average ball handler.
2. You are an above average defender.
3. You use your teammates as a shield when dribbling.
4. You are good in assist and finding the open man.
5. Your steals per game count is exceptional.

For Improvement:
1. Raise your arms when defending an opposing player.
2. During offense, stay in the perimeter.
3. You are not the team’s center so don’t stay in the middle (shaded area) during defense. Just stay in the perimeter.
4. If there is a referee during a game, don’t listen foul calls from the players. Let the referee decide.
5. Acknowledge your teammate once they make a shot.

My tips to you:
1. Know your teammates. Pass to the better skilled teammates.
2. Pass to the ball to the nearest player the basketball ring.
3. Play the point guard position. It matches your height and your built.
4. Always drink water. It hydrates you.
5. You’re in the growing phase in your life so eat a lot. Target a 5’10” height.

You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Enjoy the sport. Learn from it. Practice makes perfect.

Love,

DADS

No comments:

Post a Comment