Sunday, October 25, 2009

My BMX days (circa 1988)


I got my first real bicycle when I was 12 years old. It was a red Mongoose BMX (Bicycle Motocross) which my father got for my birthday in 1984. I recall he bought it from Mascom General Merchandise. For the next 4 years, my first BMX underwent numerous metamorphosis until it reached its final state:

FRAME: GT Pro Performer (cr-mo)
FORK: Hutch (white)
BARS: Redline (cr-mo)
STEM: Hutch (black)
GRIP: OGK (black)
BRAKE LEVERS: Dia Compe (alloy)
BRAKES: Dia Compe (alloy)
CABLES: Shimano
CRANKSET: SR
SPROCKET: Shimano
CHAIN: D.I.D
PEDALS: MKS Jaws (graphite)
SADDLE: Kashimax Aero
SEAT POST: Strong
CLAMP: Strong
HUBS: Suzue
SPOKES: Stainless Steel
RIMS: Araya
TIRES: IRC

INVESTMENT
Back then, my final and almost dream set up reached more than P3,000. From the Mongoose frame (which was a bit heavy), I upgraded to an Aero frame (which didn't fit right), then to a Skyway frame (which wasn't cool enough) then finally to a GT frame (ah perfect). The money came from mostly my savings and some help from my parents.

RACE
I joined a couple of track races but was not lucky enough to win an individual award however our team, the SR team won first place in '88. My teammate then and neighbor Rey Tinio won the event. Funny but one of the former BMX race organizers is now my brother in law.

MY TEAMMATES
The SR Team (short for San Rafael because that's the barangay where we live) was coined from a BMX product called SR which was short for Sakae Racing. My teammates then were Rey Tinio, Dexter Antonio, his brother Harley, Errol Aganon, an adopted teammate Dodie Bondoc. Did I miss anybody?

FREESTYLE
I was confident enough to do some air tricks (dirt jumping) then like a tabletop and an array of flatland tricks like pop a wheelie, do a bunny hop, an endo and a 360° spin. In fact, until now, I can still do a wheelie and a bunny hop on a mountain bike.

Those were the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment