Sunday, October 18, 2009

Who is Edison Arantes do Nascimento?


He is God in the soccer universe. He is Michael Jordan in basketball. He is Cory Aquino in democracy restoration. He sports #10 jersey and better known as Pele.

Growing up, my original chosen sport was soccer and not basketball. In the early 80s, my heroes then were soccer players like Italian Paolo Rossi, German Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, German Franz Beckenbauer and Brazilian Pele. My dream shoe then was the black 6 stud Adidas spike shoes. It was too expensive before so I had to settle with a pair of black 13 stud Grosby and then a pair of white Mondial spikes which my parents got me as a pasalubong from their trip from Italy.

Pele was born on 23 October 1940 in Três Corações, Brazil. He lorded over World Cup from 1958 to 1970 bringing with him 3 titles ('58, 62 and '70). He had tons of endorsements then worldwide and one of the most famous one was with Sony. I'm pretty sure he still lives on endorsements until now in South America were he is currently based. Years ago, he was egged to run for the president of Brazil but kept away from politics. I believe it was the best decision that he made in his life.