Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I know what you did last Holy Week


Holy Week is probably the most awaited period every year. This is the only time where you would love Metro Manila’s traffic situation since at least 70% of the metro dwellers would be vacationing in the provinces. Top destinations include Boracay, Puerto Gallera and Baguio. For my family, the long vacation will be spent in our hometown Tarlac City. Topping my things to do list is sleep followed by sleep and sleep some more. Then if I get enough sleep, I’d probably sleep some more. Pretty mundane you say? This is actually exciting for me. This is a chance for me to recharge my aging body. Here’s how I kept myself busy the whole week:

Monday:
I went to HSBC which was a stone’s throw away from our place to get my free laptop bag. T’was a neat black and gray back pack. It was time to replace my old laptop carrier so the new one was a product of loyalty points that I accumulated. In my excitement to get my new toy, I was a bit late for a meeting which is a no-no. It was the birthday of a good friend and officemate, the plump Tony E. He’d be one of the friends that I’ll keep after my life in SMT.

Tuesday:
I went on leave on this day. Morning was spent in St. Luke’s hospital for a periodic medical exam. The med exam cost P60,000! Whew! Good thing the company shouldered it else I would have succumbed to a disease called gastos dikokayatos. In the afternoon, we were practically running after time as we lined up 3 things to do but was only able to do 2, more like 1.5. Judy as able to complete her passport processing in DFA Pasay while the kids and I bonded at SM Mall of Asia. I don’t like the mall, it’s just too big! The next to do was claim my PAL Mabuhay Miles in their Legaspi Village office. Too bad there wasn’t any Hkg morning flights available.

Wednesday:
It was supposed to be a half day work today but I wanted to do a lot so I don’t have to carry the burden come Holy week hence poured on some more hours. I finally completed the performance appraisal exercise and proudly announced to my SLuz teammates that 4 of them were either upgraded or promoted during the Y2006 appraisal period. In the afternoon, we brought the kids to the park then in the evening, we checked out Tiendesitas in Pasig. We ate dinner at the Pride of Tarlac, Bonnie’s barbeque grille. The food was great especially their specialty which is ??? You guessed it, barbeque! Now guess what her name is? The fact that the owner is my first cousin is just a bonus.

Thursday:
En route to Tarlac City, we passed by Tiendesitas to pick up my cousin Jay S. who hitched a ride. Good thing he was around because we blew up a tire in North Luzon expressway and he helped me change the tire. That was not his only contribution though because he loaded us with tons of words of wisdoms and stories. I especially like the “Bad luck, good luck, who knows.” story. When we reached Tarlac in the afternoon, that was the queue of my sleep mode. ZZZ

Friday:
Morning was spent planning for HKG trip. I fixed our itinerary, list of possible expenses and other related stuff. It would be my 3rd trip to the crown colony in my lifetime. In the afternoon, my family and I attended a procession in honor of the Santo Entiero. The 1 hour walking procession took us around downtown Tarlac. This is probably the 17th straight year that I’ve attended the procession. In the evening, we had dinner at my Lolo’s place in Mabini where we usually have Good Friday dinner. We also had the chance to speak to our parents via an IDD call.

Saturday:
Today, we were originally scheduled to test drive our soon to be SUV the 3G Honda CR-V but that won’t happen because they too were on vacation. The tire stores in Tarlac too are on vacation. The day was spent practically lazing around the house doing what I originally set to do – sleep! After dinner, we went to my good friend Tikyo’s house. Tikyo has been a very good friend since 5th grade. That’s more that 2 decade of friendship.

Sunday:
Morning was spent watching Sponge Bob, Dora the Explorer and Cinderella 3 with my daughter. We heard mass in the afternoon at the church near my in-laws place. The church had an easter egg hunt afterwards but we weren’t too lucky in that exercise. Dinner was a treat at Hon Kee Tea House by my cousin Pipo who was celebrating his birthday. My only exercise for the week happened when we played basketball with my cousins and nephews after dinner and until 2 in the morning.

Monday:
Still no work today because it is Araw ng Kagitingan. I think this day is equivalent to US’s 4th of July. I wonder if Filipino producer’s will do a movie entitled AK 9 similar to Will Smith’s ID 4. They have a knack of copying American movies anyways. It’s back to reality for me. I wanted to leave Tarlac for Manila early so I could avoid the traffic. But the plan wouldn’t materialize because we had to replace my Asian Ute’s tires. It was actually scheduled for replacement as soon as we get back from Hkg but my trusty Toyota sent me clear message that his shoes need to be replaced pronto! I had to fork out P5,000 plus of unexpected expense. I just made HSBC 3.5% richer and I say I’m happy that they gave me a laptop bag? Sheesh! I should have asked for brand new tires instead of that bag. Hey HSBC, please include Pirelli tires in your loyalty points line up.

During the Holy Week, I originally planned to sleep a lot, attend a procession, play with the kids, ride my bike, go to the farm and finish reading 3 books. That I was able to do 50% was good enough. Until the next Holy Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment