Thursday, April 19, 2007

Keep Walking!


Did you know that the walking pace of a person is an average of 5 kilometers per hour (about 3 miles per hour).

I live about 600 meters from my office which is roughly a 10 minute walk. Health advisories say it is beneficial to walk 10,000 steps a day. In fact, there are dozen of companies that advocate walking to their employees. Walking 10,000 steps which would take 240 minutes is equivalent to burning 12080 calories. In more mortal terms, walking 10,000 steps a day can burn enough calories to trim off 35 pounds in a year.

When I'm in the mood (or even when out of it), I engage in alot of pedo exercise. Probably the longest and most recent walk for me was in NYC when I walked almost the length of 5th avenue. I walked from Empire State bldg to Central Park. That's in excess of 5 kilometers (3 miles). In the Philippines, one of the longest walk I can recall is about 4 kilometers which was a walk from Tiara hotel in Malugay st., Makati to Sanctuario de San Antonio in Forbes Park, Makati. That's more than the length of Ayala Avenue.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronan Sherwin said...
    I am using a pedometer that measures the(approximate) number of steps you make. I clip it on in the morning when I wake up and take it off before I hit the sack. However, I set the display/counter into calories not steps so I have no idea how many steps I make in a day. Unfortunately, I can't do any walking for at least a week, no thanks to my very weak knee :-(

    ReplyDelete