Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Davao Diary


I was born in March 1972 and my parents were married in June of 1971. They had their honeymoon in Davao Insular Hotel making me officially a statistic called “honeymoon baby.” I learned that Davao Insular Hotel is now Waterfront Davao Insular Hotel- same hotel, new owner.

Last July 30 was my first time to go to the Philippine island of Mindanao. I was in Davao City for business. This is what you call, perks of the job. The business conference was in the hotel where I was conceived. I was probably just a thought and Davao City paved the way for my existence, if you know what I mean.

I have long idolized the Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Durterte for his “no non sense” style of leadership except for the perceived executioner part. It has been said that there are days that he idolizes the grim reaper and would like to take matters in his own hands. All told, I still idolize him.

I didn’t get the chance to go around the city as much as I want to, probably the downside of an official trip. I had planned to see my college friends (Jigger & John) but time and opportunity was not on my side. We just saw the airport (of course since we flew in from Manila), Davao Insular Hotel (the site of the conference) and two SMT wireless centers (the city has FOUR WCs).

Maybe the next time I go to Davao, it will be on a leisure trip with my family. I'll definitely check out their beaches like Pearl Farm, Mt. Apo and have dinner or something with the LSC boys Jigger & John.

No comments:

Post a Comment