Thursday, June 05, 2008

BoyLac Wins : A Happy Competition


Since I’ve started making my own money more than a decade ago, I’ve viewed life as a competition with my father. I changed cars more often than him, my own house almost earlier than him, a better phone, dress better and higher monthly income.

CARS
My father had 5 car changes in 37 years and had the chance to own only 1 brand new car while I’ve had only 4 changes in 13 years with 2 of them brand new.

HOUSE
My father transferred to his “own home” at age 32 while I could have owned our own place earlier at age 27 but due to circumstances, had to forgo plans for our “dream house.”

PHONE
I practically replace phone once every 2 years. My primary phone is a high end Nokia and secondary phone is a Black Berry. The entry level phone that I use in the US is actually the same phone as my father’s primary phone.

CLOTHES
I’m into buying branded clothes but mostly on sale. My father is not particular about brands as long as he’s comfortable. He would rather buy clothes for his children and grandchildren than his own.

MONTHLY INCOME
I am an employee who has a stable income. The income is just right. My father on the other hand is a businessman with an erratic income. I’d kid him before that he’s a one day millionaire. And if he wins the lotto, we’d be poor after a day because he’s give everybody he meets a balato (tip).

It was a competition I was conscious about. I didn’t tell anybody about it though until his last days when I told my mother about my crazy practice. I’d like to believe that I’m leading in the material aspect of the game but at the end of it all, it was still my father who won the competition. His last few days as a mortal showed that he won in all fronts as there was a throng of family and friends who prayed, sympathized and supported the family. He was a better father, husband, brother, uncle, son, cousin, nephew, friend, neighbor and workmate than me. And the final score card showed that BoyLac leads by at least two decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment