Thursday, June 05, 2008

What’s a Hospice?


Definition: A hospice is a health-care facility for the terminally ill that emphasizes pain control and emotional support for the patient and family, typically refraining from taking extraordinary measures to prolong life.

At first, the thought of hospice care bothered me. I disagreed on the plan to transfer my father from the Intensive Care Unit to the Hospice Care Center. The word hospice was alien to me and I thought he won’t be given dignity if he was transferred to that facility. When he was eventually transferred, the experience totally changed my view. My father stayed there for only 6 hours but the experience was enough to tell good stories.

The role of a hospital is to make sure a patient lives even if you signed a waiver form. A hospice care on the other hand will ensure that the terminally ill patient expires comfortably.



No comments:

Post a Comment