Sunday, June 01, 2008

EULOGY for my Father



EULOGY for my Papa, Jose P. L., Jr.
May 9, 2008
DeLand, Florida

May 22, 2008
Tarlac City, Tarlac

LIFE SUMMARY
My father, Jose L., Jr. was born on November 27, 1946 in Tarlac City, Philippines. His proud parents were Jose L. Sr and Gloria P. He was the 3rd in the family and his siblings were Aida, Pong, Suet, Dan and Reggie.

He married his high school sweetheart Charity in 1971 and they had two children, Dylan and Karen. He had 3 grandchildren who he adored so much - Kobe, Chloe and Karryna.

Most of his 61 year life was spent in Tarlac City. In 2005, they made one of the biggest decisions in their life and migrated to the US with the future of their children in mind.

While in the US, he told us tons of stories about work (Winn Dixie), travels, escapades, family, friends, neighbors, practically good stories about anybody and everybody because my father loved telling stories.

LAST DAYS
My father had a stroke last April 24, 2008. He had massive bleeding in head and the family was praying for a miracle so he'd recover and go back to normal life. After 9 days in the hospital, the doctor spoke to the family and delivered the sad news - that there was no hope for recovery and that we had to make the tough decision to remove the life support system. The next 3 days after the life support was removed was in fact more difficult for the family as we've already accepted the fact that he will be joining our creator soon but at the same time you see your loved one still suffering. Finally on May 5 at around 615PM, my father breathed his last breath with his wife and children by his side and holding his hands.

SORRY & THANK YOU
To Papa Boy, let me say my list of 'Sorry' and 'Thank You' for the last time.

1- I'm sorry that I sported a long hair when I was a teenager. I know you hated it.
2- I'm sorry for disrespecting you on occasions. I know I broke your heart and that you didn't deserve it.
3- I'm sorry for always being too busy.
4- I'm sorry that I did not give you enough time to talk to my kids, your grandchildren Kobe and Chloe. I know you adored them so much.
5- I'm sorry for not saying "I Love You" more than you want me to.

1- Thank you for holding my hands a lot when I was young.
2- Thank you for teaching me how to play basketball and watching me play games.
3- Thank you for teaching me how to drive, for telling me that doing 120 per hour alone in the car is ok but a no no if done with family members.
4- Thank you for taking me to car shows because you know how I love cars.
5- Thank you for always checking my whereabouts, to know if I arrived home safely.
6- Thank you for teaching me to respect every individual regardless of their social class.
7- Thank you for always being there when we need you, to listen to our problems and give advices.
8- Thank you for taking time out to bond with my children, for practically spoiling them.
9- Thank you for loving my mother and being faithful until the end.
10 - Thank you for being a very good son, brother, brother in law, husband, father, grandfather, cousin, uncle, friend, classmate. For generally being a very good person.

You exceeded our expectation. We will miss you. And we all love you.

To conclude this message, my father taught us that in life, it's not the amount of money that a person amasses in his lifetime that matters but the quality of life - the time that you spent with your family and the number of people whose lives you touched.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment