Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cong Fred




I was in my early teens when I met Cong Fred. His family name escapes my mind right now but that's not important at this point. He was a mechanic by profession and at one point in his life, worked for my father reason why he is part of my life. WAS is the right term becasue he's probably enjoying his retirement. We used to have Deutz farm tractors and Cong Fred took care of them.

Sometime in the late 90s, while in the process of selling our 89 Mitsubishi Lancer, the buyer wanted a mechanic to check the family car. I had the right mechanic in mind - Cong Fred! The buyer who happens to be my high school teacher was convinced by a third party (that's Cong Fred) that the car was in good condition. Car sold, end of story. Gave our trusty mechanic a tip of p100 then.

Last Mar 21 along M.H. Del Pilar St. in Tarlac City, I chanced upon Cong Fred. Now all of 69 years old, silver gray hair and sporting a beer belly, I stopped and spoke to him for while. I asked him if he remembered me and I said I was DyLac, the son of BoyLac. I introduced him to my wife and told him he was the daughter of E.D.M. Tarlac is a small town and everybody knows almost everybody.

Just before we said our goodbyes, I gave him P100. T'was just a little something for somebody who was part of my life no matter small. He'd probably use that to pay for his beer for the night. Enjoy life, Cong Fred.

No comments:

Post a Comment