Sunday, March 08, 2009

Sound Check


Phase one of my project CIV SOUND UPGRADE was completed last Feb 21. The process took 1 whole day which started at 1030am and ended just before 600pm. A big bonus was meeting the man behind Quest Audio Mr. Marky Ngo who was a fellow Lasallite. Lunch was on him - thanks Marky!

Phase one includes head unit and separates or component speakers. I had my eyes (and budget) set on Pioneer 5050 but there was no stock so fate brought me to a no regret-u pay what u get-souped up Pioneer 6050. It has 3 RCA input (front speaker + rear speaker + subs), 7 band graphic equalizer, USB capable, Ipod ready, etc. For the seps, it was old school JBL 6507c series for me. The package includes 6 in component speakers, 1 in tweeters and pretty crossovers.

Phase two includes amplifiers and subwoofer upgrade. It will only happen after I sell my existing set up - Pioneer head unit & equalizers, Alpine amps and Ryan Audio subs. The plan is to get a JBL 4 channel amps to power the fronts seps and the subs. Looks like my budget will limit me to JBL amps. Now the decision tree is either to get (a) JBL 10in subs wt JBL CS1004T bazooka type loaded enclosure or slightly expensive (b) Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-1x10 10in subs with loaded enclosure. The former is more stylish and compact but the latter is better known for quality sounds. So it's choice between porma and quality.

The long term plan is to pull out the sound system from the 7G CIV if we decide to sell it in 2012 and transfer the whole set up to the 3G VEE. But that's a long way to go so it will serve as my de-stresser for the next 3 years while I traverse the stressful Edsa 3 days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment