Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What do I want to do when I retire?


When I’m 65 years old (that’s about 3 decades from now) and the word retirement is a reality that I have to face, I’d like to be in social class upper B at least and live an amazingly simple life. I look up to people who are secure about their financial position in society that they don’t have to hide behind their brand new cars, big houses and branded clothes and tell the world how rich or successful they are. After reaching that financial objective, I’d like to teach management to college students.

As my son B5 put it during his Preparatory Graduation rites, he said; “when I grow up, I want to be a teacher” even if he said previously that he wants to be: 1- the President of the Philippines, 2- a bus company owner, 3- a doctor, 4- a priest and a 5- a barber. As for me, when I grow old and have to face retirement, I want to be a teacher. Sana kunin ako ng Tarlac State University as a lecturer pag tanda ko teaching management subjects. The salary would be the least of my worries kasi nga I should be financially stable by then. Pang gasolina ko na lang yun sa BMW X5 ko. :) The teaching aspiration is my way of giving back to the community what I learned and will learn in the years to come. Young people sometimes only realize the value of what they learned years after somebody taught it to us. My mother used to teach at College of the Holy Spirit so it’s “in the genes.” Also, being an effective leader, something that I’d like to believe I am or at the very least, I’m on my way there, one of the key traits that you should possess is to be a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment